Information For Businesses
Consumers want control over being tracked
<> Consumers own their computer, IP Address, emails and cell phone.
<> Consumers should be asked for consent when a third party loads files onto their hard drive.
<> Consumers have the right to exclude their data from being tracked and followed, from having their actions and habits recorded and sold to advertisers.
How it works
There is ample evidence that the vast majority of consumers are tired of being tracked, tired of giving up data that hundreds of companies sell. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) agrees and has requested that the private sector come up with a Do Not Track solution. Absent that, they have promised to work toward passing federal laws to protect consumers regarding tracking.
The Do Not Track Registry® (trademark owned by Pridatco Inc. and registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office) offered here will do more than that. We'll be working WITH ad networks, websites and advertisers to end unfair tracking AND to allow consumers to control tracking while offering the option to allow greater custom targeting. Phase 1 is based on IP addresses and cell phone numbers, recorded from subscribers and made available via a license model similar to DoNotCall.gov.
Phase 2 will look at methods for advertisers to partner with consumers to explore certain types of advertising, highly targeted to consumer interests and activities.
Next Steps for Businesses
- We are forming working groups with those companies using tracking technologies. We intend for the relationship among you, us and consumers to be a partnership - the goal will be to devise ways to effectively stop tracking and develop ways for consumers to participate, perhaps in tightly focused messages via limited tracking, and to be rewarded for receiving such messages. We'll also work with all licensees to allow some technical tracking needed to make their systems work but which will not be identifiable surveillance-style tracking.
- Eventually DoNotTrackUs listings will be licensed widely to ad networks, advertisers and websites and web publishers. When licenses are violated, fines may be assessed and collected - all fines collected will be 100% used to help support consumer privacy.
- If consumers who have enrolled believe they are being tracked, a complaint can be filed on this site and we will audit and investigate.
- If the advertiser has a DoNotTrackUs license, this may be a violation of a legal agreement and may be subject to a fine if the violation is not corrected.
- If the violation is from an advertiser that has NOT signed a license, it is our position that the tracking is violating our subscribers' property rights, legal expectation of privacy and this may be an unfair trade practice (FTC jurisdiction) and/or the action may create liability to our members who have asserted their legal rights to property and privacy.